Rebecca over at Weight Wars (who I find very inspirational, BTW – I have no idea how she manages to organize these fabulous challenges and projects!) has launched a year long project called Happiness Online, based on Gretchen Ruben’s book The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun. (In the interest of full disclosure, this is an Amazon affiliate link).
The whole purpose of this project is to focus on improving our own happiness with our lives. I read the book, and although I found some of the ideas a little too zen for me, the fact is, I have found that my own happiness directly relates to staying on track with my weight loss/maintenance, my fitness… everything! Every month we will set resolutions around a theme (hey, monthly goals – no wonder I want to do this!) and work towards those goals.
It is time for our January wrap up, where we look at how we did at improving our Vitality!
January Resolutions – Vitality
I set five resolutions for January. How did I do?
1. Get more sleep. This one wasn’t perfect, but I made progress. I had trouble sleeping when I worked nights – getting to bed shortly after 5 most mornings, but getting up well before noon every day. Not good. Transitioning back to days was tough too; I had trouble getting to sleep the first couple nights, although I was getting to bed by 11:30. So, progress there!
2. Regular exercise. Check! Even without a training plan to follow, I was swimming, running, biking and doing weights. Score 1 here!
3. Eat better. Well…. kind of. I’ve had a couple of bad days where I ate too much sweet stuff, but I’ve done well at cutting my dairy, and at tracking my food. So half a point here.
4. Relax more. Well, we didn’t play a board game, but we did have a wonderful 3 hour budget discussion over wine – we were definitely on the same page once we were done, and it was done with no stress or tension at all! 1 point for this one.
5. Spend more time with friends. Double score here! We had a nice couple over for dinner, and I had lunch with a good friend one day too.
So really, I did pretty well on my goals this month, especially considering I was away for half of it. Overall, I’m happy, and intend to move forward working on the same ideas – more sleep, more socializing, time unplugged with Bruce, and of course my fitness/nutrition goals.
Daily goals: Yesterday was good! I got them all done, plus I cleaned behind the fridge (scary, scary place – ugh!!)
Goals for today:
1. 1 workout
2. Enter 4 weeks of 1/2 marathon plan into Google calendar
3. Read 2 chapters of a book