I have decided to participate in the “Spring Chick Challenge”, hosted by Stormy to kick off 2012 with some healthy goals in place!
Stormy has asked that we introduce ourselves:
Blog URL: www.tryingtotri.com
Facebook: I’m still clueless here 😛
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
The challenge has five focus points, and together we can support each other to be successful!
1. Commit to a NSV (non scale victory) to be assessed at the start and the conclusion of the challenge.
For me, I’m going to aim to improve my running speed. Specifically, I want to be able to run 5 miles in 45 minutes by the end of the challenge. Currently, I can run 5 miles in about 47.5 minutes, so this means dropping 30 seconds per mile.
2. Commit to a set of nutrition parameters and track via MyFitnessPal or Sparkpeople or WW. Whatever tracking works for you. If you are on maintenance and do not really track, what nutrition goals do you have? How many calories daily or weekly? How much water will you drink daily? What items, if any, will you limit?
OK, I am in maintenance, but I still need to track – badly. If I stop tracking, I backslide too quickly. I use MyFitnessPal. I am going to note right now, though, that from January 2-15 I am on vacation, and probably will not track everything for this two week period. As well, my daily calorie allowance will be set to 1500 calories plus any exercise calories I earn. As soon as I am back from vacation, there will be some serious restrictions – reduced carbs, gluten free, and no processed sugar! I plan to limit my dairy as well to see if that helps me clear up my skin.
3. Commit to a set of exercise parameters. These can be as loose or as flexible as you feel work for your personality, schedule, etc. Think variety. Start small and build. Try to incorporate a variety of exercises as to avoid boredom.
Exercise parameters! OK, again, on vacation for the first two weeks, BUT that vacation includes a half and full marathon, and lots of walking through theme parks. Once we return, I’m committing to swimming once per week, biking at least once per week, weights/core/strength once a week, and running at least 1-3 times per week, starting February 1. Part of this commitment is to select a training plan for my Half Ironman race in July. I’ve learned the hard way, building my own is not an effective training strategy!
4. Commit to blogging at least twice weekly and 1 of those times must be you check in with a complete up date on your progress. All other blogs could include new insights, results of weekly challenges, or just letting others know how you are doing.
I already blog several times per week, including weekly updates, so this one is the easy one!
5. Commit to support… both giving and receiving. Check others blogs and comment as you feel motivated to do.
I love finding new blogs, in fact, it was Maren’s blog that led me to this challenge!
Finally, if we have a weight loss goal, we are asked to post it here. My current weight is 145. I would like to get down to 140, for a loss of 5 pounds. But honestly, I’m not sure how focused I’m going to be on this, so maintaining would be fine.
So there we go – my first goals for 2012. There will be more – most of next week will be devoted to posts about goals for this year. As for my daily goals….
Yesterday was OK on the goals front – due to some very good news, my day got sidetracked, and while I got a LOT done prepping for our Florida trip, I did not get most of my list done. I was still sick, so no run. 🙁 Laundry was started, but not finished. I did work on more than 2 blog posts, so THAT got done. 🙂 The Christmas decorations are all packed away, and the fridge is much better. The new blog needs work, but I did get emails set up, and I got business cards ordered! I may have to leave the new blog until I get back, which does not make me happy.
1) Pack for Florida
2) Watch movie with the kids
3) Work on two blog posts
Today is the final #WEverb11 prompt! This exercise has been fun and has really helped me reflect on 2011.
#31 – Forsee. Contributed by Kaileen Elise
Where do you hope to be on Jan 1, 2013?
Where do I hope to be…. considering I’m pretty content with my life right now, I don’t want much to change! I’m actively working on improving our financial position this year, I hope we’ve made some good progress. I hope my career is humming along. I hope my marriage and family is still healthy, happy, and intact. Other than that? I hope I had a lot of fun in 2012!
And with that, Happy New Year, everyone!