Winnipeg Police Services Half Marathon Race Recap

The WPS Half marathon was held Sunday, May 6, 2012. This is the third year I’ve registered for this race, but only the second year I’ve been able to run it – last year blizzard like conditions forced us to turn the car around less than 2 blocks from our house, so we were unable to run. The first time I ran it, it was with Bruce, and it was a nice little race – fairly scenic course, not too many people (about 3,000, I think), and just lots of fun.

This year, I ran it alone. Bruce ran it too, but he’s so much faster than me now that we don’t run together very often any more – it’s not really fun for either of us. So this allows me to set my own pace, which this weekend was good as I tried to run at the tail end of a nasty cold.

I’ll admit, because of a late night, I really didn’t feel like getting up at 6:00 to head to this race. I wondered why I was doing it (which turned into a whole other post on it’s own….). But I ate my breakfast, got my gear on, and off we went.

It was actually perfect race weather – cool, but not cold, slightly overcast. We got to the race, parked, and left our arm weather gear in the truck – with less than 30 minutes to the start, we figured we’d be OK, and we were right. Bruce headed up to the first corral, and I dropped back to the 2:30 corral – I thought I’d be able to finish faster, but I like to start a little slower. I went into this race without much expectation – coming off a cold, with little outdoor training, I was hoping for about 2:20 at best.

An airforce flyby acts as the starting gun, and once that was done, we were off. I goofed up my Garmin and had to reset it less than 2 minutes after crossing the start, but other than that and stopping to adjust my knee brace, I didn’t walk until I hit the aid station at about mile 3. Even then, I only walked to drink, then kept running. I did take a 1 minute walk at about the 4.5 mile mark, but I was feeling really good, and averaging just under 10:00 minute miles. I figured I’d eventually run out of juice, so I decided to bank as much time as I could to hedge against what I thought would be the inevitable crash.

Just past Mile 8, I took a 2 minute walk break, but then I found some new energy, and kicked it up a notch. Mile 9 was good, as was Mile 10. Mile 11 involved more walking – by this time, I knew I should be able to hit my goal of finishing in under 2:20. I walked for 3 minutes in the middle of Mile 12/13, and managed to find enough energy to sprint to the finish! My final time? 2:16:13. And I’m happy with that. 🙂

I can’t say enough good things about the race – well organized, lots of aid stations, a pretty course with a few rolling hills (I enjoy that, Bruce doesn’t). And it has a cap of total entrants, with less than 2000 runners in the half marathon, and 263 relay teams, so it’s not crowded and crazy. We’ll definitely run it again next year.

Bruce even got a photo after the race:

Goals update: Oh Monday did not go as planned. I woke up late, absolutely exhausted, with a wicked leg cramp. I limped around all day so I skipped my brick workout. I did work on a blog post. I don’t think I read five blog posts – I know I didn’t comment on five of them. Maybe today…

Today’s goals:

1) Swimming lesson
2) Finish 2 blog posts
3) Finish HTP book

This entry was posted in Events, Local Events, Running events and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Winnipeg Police Services Half Marathon Race Recap

  1. Carina says:

    Congrats! That’s awesome! Your training is really paying off. I think skipping the workout on Monday was a good idea — even if you don’t feel tired, you should give your body a bit of extra rest (a couple days) and then hold off on hard effort for at least a week just to make sure you recovery properly (ideally 13 days I’ve heard). Sounds like a really neat race. And for the record, even when couples run the same pace (which is rare), it seems many still run separately either for logistics or just to have some space and outside conversation. Take good care of yourself this week! Congrats again!

    • Kris says:

      Thanks! It was actually a really fun race, and considering how sick I was last week, I’m very happy with my time. I’m definitely taking a little more time off – I swam tonight, but not much, and I’m going to yoga tomorrow for the stretching. We’ll see how I’m doing after that!

  2. PlumPetals says:

    Congratulations Kris!!! 2 hr 16 is amazing 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *